Sometimes…runners have to get in the gym and pump iron. And work. And do work. And keep on keeping on. We grit our teeth and suck it up because we all just want to run. But every runner knows that he or she can’t just run and get by. Heck no. I have to do a certain strength routine every day and weight sessions twice a week. There’s so much to the mechanics of running, and that’s why I’ll put that up in a separate post 😉
My workout today:
- 30 minute elliptical session
- 3×20 kettleball squats
- 3×12 single leg deadlift
- 3x 1 minute wall sits with stability ball between legs
- 3×20 4 way straight-leg raises with 5 lb. ankle weights
- 4x 1 minute planks
- 3x 1 minute side planks each side
- 3×20 mountain climbers with kettleball
- 3×12 tricep kickbacks
- 3×12 bicep curls
- 3×15 stability ball hip extension
- 3×20 stability ball tuck-ins (as I call them)
- 3x failure Scorpion (feet on bench, in plank position, bring knee to chest, over to other arm, put leg back, repeat)
After a VERY good, hard workout this morning, I came home and couldn’t decide what kind of protein pancakes to make….then I remembered my famous banana bread and decided to make a banana bread pancake!!
Oh, and is it GOOD.
Sorry, but you guys have got to try this at home.
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. milk OR 2 tbsp. applesauce
- Water as desired for consistency
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 scoop vanilla soy protein isolate (or any vanilla whey protein powder)
- Almost whole medium banana (leave a little to put slices on top!)
- Vanilla Greek yogurt for filling
First, mash the banana with a fork (mine was not overly ripe, and it doesn’t have to be! Just has to be a ripe, yellow banana). Combine your dry ingredients first with the banana, then the water, milk or applesauce, vanilla extract. Once it all looks very well combined (will be some lumps from banana), then spray your pan and turn on stove to medium-high. Mine made around 4 small pancakes; make whatever size you would like.
As you stack the pancakes when you are all done, take a butter knife and spread a little bit of the Greek yogurt in between each one! Then on the top, add some sliced banana left over 🙂
Have a great Thursday!